Tom Savage looks like he will be a solid backup QB. Which means Texans fans need to hope he never sees the field.
BY FRED FAOUR
Programming note: The Blitz will broadcast live today from Constellation Field in Sugar Land, home of the Skeeters. Drop by and say hello.
- The Texans’ future truck drivers proved to be significantly better than the Cowboys’ future McDonald’s workers last night. Preseason games are all but meaningless, and the fourth one is the worst. Still, the game did show the Texans have pretty solid depth across the board, and some of the players cut will get snapped up by other teams. That’s a good sign. A 4-0 preseason record looks shiny, but the Lions went 4-0 one year and promptly went 0-16. That won’t happen here. This is a good football team that has a chance to be very good. It all comes down to Brock Osweiler and how skilled he really is. Oh, and an offensive line that has looked pathetic in camp and in the fake games. If there is one thing that will derail this team, the OL is it. The running game was a mess again (3.2 yards per carry) and almost all of that was on the line. On the positive side, Tom Savage has turned into a solid backup quarterback. This is going to be an interesting season. On the Cowboys side, all we learned is they need a veteran backup QB. Jameill Showers is a borderline NFL player at best. Expect them to be combing the waiver wires this weekend. By the way, here is a running list of players the Texans are cutting.
- So 2-1 on our college bets last night, 3-1 for the season. Kicking myself for not betting Appalachian State. Early in the season, I like to be more cautious, because we simply don’t know these teams yet. Our winners were Indiana and Oregon State both covering. Our loser was the Rice-Western Kentucky over, which we likely hit if Rice’s QB doesn’t throw an end zone pick in the waning moments. Oh well, that’s gambling. Tune in to the show to find out if there are more plays tonight.
- This season, the Astros have been Juice to the Rangers’ Marilyn Manson in Sons of Anarchy. (If you don’t get the reference…well, you can figure it out). They get another shot this weekend. The fact that their old pal Carlos Gomez is raking in Arlington just adds to the plot.
- So how delusional are the people at Penn State? Honoring Joe Paterno? I get he built the program. I get he did some nice things and helped graduate a lot of players. But he also ignored and in fact covered up children being raped for decades. I am all for second chances and forgiveness. We all screw up. But 30-plus years of overlooking about the worst crime possible? And you honor the man? That’s a serious “hey man, f— that.”
- I admit it, I love UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen. He’s brash, in a “Jim McMahon had sex with Brett Favre and this is their kid” sort of way. He’s probably the best pro quarterback prospect in college football — maybe the best since Andrew Luck. But if he really thinks that “after about 50,000 people, it all sounds the same,” he is in for a rude awakening. Kyle Field is madhouse and one of the best environments in college football. There will be 100,000-plus sitting right on top of him and when that place gets swaying…This ain’t Tempe, brother. Good luck.
- I’m on record as saying Freddie Mercury was the greatest front man ever, with the most unique voice in the history of rock. He would have been 70 this week and is being honored in London.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“In the poker game of life, women are the rake, man. They are the f—ing rake.”
— Ed Norton, Rounders
(And if I have to explain that one to you, we aren’t friends).