By DISCO BISCUIT
Good morning everyone and happy Fourth of July. Hopefully everyone can get out on a lake, a river, or beach and spend some time with family and friends. With all of her problems, America is still the greatest country on earth and today is a good day to remember that. I would remiss on this day if we didn’t talk about the good old fashioned cookout. First of all, don’t call it a BBQ unless you’re only serving BBQ. Grilling might possibly be the greatest thing to ever happen and I don’t say that lightly. Here are my cook out must haves:
- Special seasoning that only you know about for the hot dogs and hamburgers – if you’re going to be in charge of the grill you absolutely must be able to whip up a good burger. It’s best if you have a special recipe. Also, I’m a big fan of the hot dogs with the cheese inside – make sure you have some of those.
- Potato salad – Potato salad is hit or miss because some people are mustard potato salad fans, and others are mayonnaise potato salad fans. I’m personally mustard but I can be swayed into mayo if it’s made well.
- Cheap, light beer – I’m a craft beer snob myself, but if you don’t have a cooler filled to the brim with Miller Light or Bud Light, then you’re not throwing a party. Pro tip – keep the good beer in a separate cooler by the grill guy. Also, if you are the grill guy you have to get that special assistant who goes and gets you beers from the cooler.
- Fajitas – I know this might be unpopular, but having the ability to make fajitas a cook out is next level.
- Store brand sodas and chips – it wasn’t a party when I was growing up until someone showed up with the case of Dr. Thunder and Riffles from Walmart. Must haves.
Don’t forget to watch the greatest sporting event of the summer on ESPN 2. Can Joey Chestnut beat his record breaking performance from last year? The man is an absolute beast in the hot dog eating game.
The Astros are still hot as usual. Check out our weekly wrap up here. With a franchise tying high five starters in the All Star game, I’m happy to report national folks are starting to pay attention to our boys. I went to the games on both Saturday and Sunday and it was PACKED to the gills. I know it is the Yankees, but I’m happy to report it was a solid 70/30 Astros fan turn out. Remember 2011? Back then it would have been 70/30 the other way. Both games were good, especially Saturday night coming back from down 6-3 to win had the stadium rocking. I have a complaint though. It’s time for the stadiums to start cracking down on people walking down the aisles in the middle of an at-bat. I notice this EVERYWHERE in the stadium so it’s not a problem in just one area. The proper etiquette is to wait at the top of the aisle and then when the player is finished with their at bat you walk down to your seat. I’m not sure if this is just “new baseball fan” or what but I’m getting so sick of it. On both Saturday and Sunday, several really good at bats were completely ruined because the people around us would just walk right down and then aimlessly stand there watching before they sat down. On Sunday two girls stood in the middle of the stairs and took a selfie, completely oblivious to the fact that people were trying to watch the game behind them. A stunning lack of self awareness to say the least. I’ve heard some stadiums are thinking of having the ushers hold signs asking people to wait and I’m very much here for that. I hope the Astros can get a handle on it because it completely ruins the experience for the rest of us. Also, here is a picture of Jose Altuve standing next to Aaron Judge and a photoshopped image from Lamont. Which is real? You be the judge (get it?).
NBA free agency continues, and I don’t have much to say about it. Trading away Patrick Beverley, Sam Dekker, and Lou Williams for Chris Paul was a hard pill to swallow but all in all I think it was a good move. I’m sad to see PatBev going though, he was hilariously scrappy!
Have a great fourth of July everyone. Stay safe. DON’T drink and drive. Take antacids liberally.
Here’s the National Anthem to close things out!
Quote of the Day – “We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights; that amoung these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” – Thomas Jefferson.
Hottie of the Day –