So the old guy returns for a day…Lamont is off gallivanting around the world, so you get me.
I wrote about how the Astros game was one of the most memorable moments in Houston sports history, good or bad. Here is my own personal top five (not including Wednesday’s game, which would easily be top three).
5) The Chris Burke homer: It was 2005. I was actually leaving a Texans game when the people walking out erupted. Brad Ausmus had just tied the game with a home run. I made my way over to Minute Maid to catch the end of the game, which went 18 innings, and Burke’s home run gave the Astros the win and helped propel them on to the World Series.
4) Oh so close: This was one of my first sports memories. Mike Renfro’s catch against the Steelers that wasn’t in the end zone. The Steelers would go on to win 27-13. Was it a catch? Would it have changed the game? Probably not. But it provided a memorable moment.
3) Game 7, 1993-94 NBA Championship: This one is easy, because it was the first major sports championship victory in the city. The Rockets team was fun, talented and exciting. A great moment.
2) The choke: Who can forget the 1992-93 Oilers? They were up 35-3. We know how that ended. Simply one of the strangest games I’ve ever seen.
1) No comment: The 1983 NCAA basketball championship in Albuquerque. As a UH fan, it was devastating to see Phi Slama Jama come up short. To this day I can’t watch the highlights when they show it on the NCAA tournament coverage.
What a weekend: Houston will be hopping the next few days, with three World Series games at Minute Maid Park. Get out and enjoy it; these moments don’t happen very often. Check back here for Chris Campese’s game coverage, and check SportsMap for inning by inning updates.
Remember these guys? Oh, and the Texans have a huge game at Seattle on Sunday. Have you ever heard less buzz about an NFL team?
If you aren’t on this…Rick and Morty is freaking hilarious. I don’t know what took me so long to find that show. It’s only three seasons, so you can get caught up. If you don’t think the Pickle Rick episode is the funniest thing ever, we aren’t friends.
Gambling update: On a bit of a bad roll right now, but it happens. My picks are available at pregame.com. All proceeds go to Harvey relief.
This chick…Are you serious? Tattooing a cat?
QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Every unpleasant worldly experience in life exposes our sensitive nervous systems to painful phenomena. Despite all the beer commercial advertisement slogans urging us to live with gusto, life is unavoidably painful. Life is a battering ram that inflicts trauma upon human beings. People blunt the traumatic force of enduring a lifetime of pain, fearfulness, and unremitted anguish and boredom with religion, sex, booze, drugs, fantasy, and other indulgent acts and forms acts of escapism.”
― Kilroy J. Oldster,
HOTTIE OF THE DAY
An oldie but a goodie…